02 May 2011

Why I Mourn the Death of Osama Bin Laden

In case you’ve been living underground in a cave for the past ten years and haven’t been able to catch up on current events lately, Osama Bin Laden is the man accused of plotting the September 11th attacks in 2001, among other atrocities. He is, and now forever will be, a terrorist, an extremist Muslim, an enemy of the United States (a club that is growing ever larger by the day). On May 1, 2011, he was reportedly shot and killed by a group of soldiers in a house in Pakistan. Almost the entire North American continent was in celebration that night.
I like to call myself a peaceable person. I enjoy peace and quiet, I enjoy not having a war going on, I enjoy lack of fighting. I’m not violent (although I can be) and I try to be compassionate towards others as much as possible. I’m also entirely way too forgiving.
I was one of the few that did not take a part in celebrations on the night of Bin Laden’s death. I find nothing to celebrate in the death of a man who is going to Hell for his sins with no hope of redemption. Instead, I find it saddening, sorrowful. Please understand, I truly do believe that the American people, especially those whose families have suffered since 9/11, but justice does not mean ending in death.
I feel like, after ten years, most people have forgotten the name Osama Bin Laden. There have been other fish to fry, other necessities of home life that have had to be taken care of.
It was my Freshmen year of high school. We had only been in school for a month. I was in my physical science class. My teacher was Mrs. Adams. Her husband, Mr. Adams, also taught science at our school. They were a pretty cool pair. Needless to say, Halloween was always exciting in their class. J I don’t remember exactly what we were doing in class that day, but I remember our principal coming over the loud speakers, telling all of the teachers to turn on the TV’s to the local news, that a plane had hit the World Trade Center. Me, being 14 and more socially oriented than education oriented, had no idea what the World Trade Center was, nor honestly did I care. It was tragic, and I remember being sad that all of those lives were needlessly lost, but it didn’t disrupt my life as it had the families of those trapped in the buildings.
Ten years later, I still feel sorrow for the lives that were lost, but more aggravation that the United States, a nation that has always called itself a “Christian Nation”, one that always prided itself on its’ morals and values, has held onto a grudge against one man. It’s been called the “War on Terror” but I feel like the title “The War That Has Made Us Look Like War Mongering Idiots” would be more correct. More lives have been lost due to this ten year (and counting… you don’t really expect it to end now that Bin Laden is dead, do you?) war than was in the tragic event that started it.
No, I do not believe that Bin Laden should have escaped with what he had done, but is killing hundreds, if not thousands of innocent people really the answer? Are we really a nation that is so bent on hate and revenge that we steamroller all who happen to be in our path?
This war should have ended ten years ago instead of being drug on the way that it has. There are more important issues we should have been facing, the recession for example, instead of being hell bent to spend as many lives as possible in an attempt at getting back at one man, one man who, in the past few years, has fallen out of power and has been replaced.
So what have we gained from this killing? A morale boost? A feeling of satisfaction? Can you honestly say that you’ll sleep better tonight, knowing that you’ve not lost any sleep over this man for nine years? He should have been brought to justice, not brutally murdered; yet the man who shot him will be hailed as a hero instead of a villain.
I fear that, today, I’ve lost respect for our nation. And I believe that we should fear retaliation. This war is not over because one pawn is dead. This war will not be over because every terrorists dies. It’s a war that rages in the heart and in the soul, and will never end.
Instead of cursing his name, you should have been praying for him, and for his family. For his country. For your family and for your country. If we were truly a Christian nation, if you were truly a Christian, a follower of Jesus, you would have forgiven him and prayed.
And I am just as guilty as the rest.

3 comments:

  1. All true points, at least if you follow that faith. But, would we be able to sit back and take what was given and still be a nation? What would have happened if we didn't go to those places and try and find those responsible? We would have more attacks, way more, and not just by them. Of course, you can take the conspiracy route, but that is another discussion entirely. No matter what action was taken, we can at least breathe a bit easier knowing that one person, who has not only destroyed lives from our nation, but from his own as well. Not saying that one death is enough and truthfully, I believe that we would have rather seen him alive. There was no way to be sure that he was in the group that was attacked. I think the US would have put him through a trial, if they had found him alive. But they didn't. Does this mean that our guys will have less issues there? Probably not. I am just as worried about our guys as you are, as it is really possible that you are right and there may be retaliation. But sitting still and doing nothing, solves nothing. Killing does not either, so it's a hard decision either way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. powerful and true. at least you eventually thought it through. most people are still riding the high on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with every word. I hope bin Laden's death brings closure to the families of 9/11. Our nation's pursuit of him has cost many other families a loved one. Your dad and husband have played their role in this mess--we could just as easily be "victims" of bin Laden, even now that he's dead. Love you.

    Auntie Alisa

    ReplyDelete