15 May 2011

Left in the Dust

I have no degree.

Nor any chance of having one for the next year and a half or so.

And I've been in college since January of 2006.

My husband is working on his Master's degree. I have three friends that just graduated Law School. I have six or seven friends who just graduated with a B.A. in English, two of whom did it in three years. I also have multiple other friends who have graduated, either from Liberty or Emmanuel, plus I have two or three friends who are leaving for Law School.

Yeah. I'm feeling incredibly...

Lazy?
Unintelligent?
Left behind?

Pretty much all three. College has not been kind to me, and I have not been kind to it. I treated it the same way that I treated high school: as a joke. As something that, even if I don't study, I'll still pass. Yeah, well, after two semesters, I realized that, ha, the joke's on me. So after nearly failing out of Emmanuel, I went to Liberty. Then I have a kid. Then after coming this close to getting my degree, I switch majors. Again. For one thing, I never should have added a minor. For another, I never should have given up on classes so easily.

For another, I should have just done the work.

So now, I'm sitting on the bleachers, cheering on my friends while hiding my insane jealousy at the fact that they get to move on with their lives.

And I still don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment