19 May 2011

A Romantic What?

I was raised in the Disney generation. I idolized characters like Belle and Pocahontas and Jasmine. I wanted a prince like the Beast or Aladdin or John Smith. I wanted the romance. The never ending, happily ever, romance.

And thirteen years later, I was slapped in the face with reality.

Life isn't a Disney movie (I know, don't have a heart attack). Life is comprised of situations. What you make of those situations determines how your life is, ends up being, etc.

So now back to romance.

I read way too much. I also have a very big imagination. I'm trying to come up with the most romantic evening physically possible for John. And I'm at a complete loss. I'm thinking dinner, a bed and breakfast, absolutely NO Balian, just for a night. Lots of cuddling, lots of being held, perfect alone time. His idea is staying in the house and going to bed and cuddling there after putting monkey to sleep. NOT romantic for me. Is there a middle here?? I'm at a loss to try and find it. I'm still trying to live out my fairy tale ending and he's living in reality land. My house is not romantic. I know I can try to make it that way, and I know we have before, but I'm in need of difference. I'm in need of a night with my husband away from my child (who is currently screaming at my feet because he knows dinner is done). Romance, after you're married, is so hard to come by. Romance after you have a child is just impossible.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. I want a night out. He wants a night in. I want a candle lit bubble bath, but our tub doesn't hold two people. He wants sex and then sleep. How do you fill two very different people's desires??

2 comments:

  1. So many thoughts on this and I am trying to think of the appropriate things to say because other folks are reading but I will say what I have to say from a purely male perspective. I have found that more simple and thoughtful the gesture the more romantic it tends to come out. Keep it very simple and you will be surprised at how effective it comes off. Find something INCREDIBLY sexy to wear, make sure you are all smooth and all that good stuff, light some candles, get a babysitter, and love on that man like the world is going to end tomorrow (I had to throw a joke in there somewhere) and TRUST me, it will be AWESOMELY romantic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm. Well, John always did favor the simpler versions of... well... everything, but I feel where you're coming from.

    If you're going for a fairy tale ending, my best suggestion is that both of you work on writing the story. I think he just misses all of you (which of course he does since he's not there with you all the time).

    In any case, I'm pretty sure you'll figure out how to get that holla back ;)

    ReplyDelete