28 May 2011

I'm not a Christian

My beloved older sister recently told me to ... "be 'christian like'" in a comment on my previous blog. There's a problem with this statement. I don't want to be "Christian like". I want to be "Christ like". And there's a HUGE difference.

I dislike being put into the Christian mold. It is a mold that has been known for hate, hypocrisy, greed, and everything that goes against what Christ stood for. Christians act their best on Sundays, then ignore the fact that God exists the other six days of the week. Or, you have those that are in church whenever it's open, some to seek God, most to brag about how often they attend church. I can't stand that. God isn't a building. Don't brag about going to a building. It's not impressing anyone. You shouldn't be bragging to begin with. It creates the persona of "holier than thou" which is what most Christians are known for.

I want to be a follower of Christ. I want to bear His image daily. I want people to come to know the Lord simply because His love has shone through me, not because I've shoved a tract or the Bible into their face and told them they were going to Hell. That irritates me. I try my hardest to reflect Christ's character and to be a good follower of Him, and I fail continually. Until I reach Heaven, I will always fail (I know, quite depressing...). I'm still trying to figure out the concretes of my faith. I can't really tell you why I believe in God. I can only show you. I love my Lord, more than anything else, more than my husband or my son. He is my redeemer, my healer. I will never be able to deny Him, should I ever want to.

My God is an awesome God. I will praise Him for all of my days. He has been nothing but wonderful to me, giving me my son, saving my life. I owe Him everything. I still have questions, but I know they'll be answered in time.

So, please, don't put me in the "Christianity" mold. Put me in the "Follower of Christ" mold. Because that's what I am.

2 comments:

  1. Really? You would take what I was trying to say to you and put a religious beat to it. It doesn't matter what religion you follow or whatever. Just be the good person that everyone needs to be. That is ALLLL I was saying when I said that.

    I am not a christian or a follower of 'god'. I don't view it as necessary to live a great life. I am still a good person and follow a great moral code. I am not less because I do not believe. And that is my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what Victoria wrote, is her two cents as well as from her heart. She wasn't downing you personally, she was disowning that statement. I agree with her. Christians have become lazy and thus everyone around them has this false understanding of what Christianity truly is. It is a relationship with Jesus Christ! We aren't perfect, nor will we ever be, that is those who truly follow Him. Some as Victoria mentioned, only act the part. This isn't a script for a role in a movie, it's a decision for one's soul and it's eternity.

    ReplyDelete