15 January 2012

Cross Country Day 12

Start: Forest, Virginia
End: Joint Base Lewis McChord, Washington
Miles: 2913

Our cross country move has officially come to a close. It's a bitter sweet ending, because it's been an awesome time of vacation for our family, yet we're happy to have this trip behind us. Washington is a beautiful state, and I'm very happy to be here! The drive from Gresham here was amazing. We passed through forests that still held the marks of destruction from the explosion of Mt. Saint Helens 22 years ago. Snow had fallen over night, turning much of our drive through forests into an expedition through a winter wonderland. It took us two hours to arrive from Oregon, and we immediately headed to the vet to get Scotty updated on his shots, since he will have to be boarded for the next ten days. Then we headed to a hotel for the night, and are planning on moving to Post lodging in the morning, provided the boarding place is open to put Scotty in. We drove into Joint Base Lewis - McChord for the first time together, in the snow. Our first stop was the PX to eat some lunch and to buy me a new pair of shoes (my snow boots were accidentally packed up with our home goods, so I only have my very soggy moccasins to walk through snow and ice in). Then we went to the library to print off a couple of items. We met up with one of John's friends for dinner (he's a blast!), and now we're getting ready to turn in.

This vacation has been rewarding in so many different ways. It's amazing to be a family again and to be able to spend a few days of uninterrupted time together. I loved seeing the different views and sites each state afforded, and it was amazing to see the differences state by state. I have also gleaned a more full appreciation for the United States as a whole from this drive. This country in which we live and work and play is so amazing, and there are so many hidden treasures tucked away to be found (I mean, who really thought that there would be awesome waterfalls in Idaho, potato capital of the world??).

Tomorrow begins our days of work in trying to get everything organized for us. Soon we will be moving into a new home, and I couldn't be more excited! I can't wait to see what these next two years will hold for us!

1 comment:

  1. Hey lady,

    Check out my blog when you can. I tagged you in a fun blog game. :)

    ReplyDelete