15 August 2011

Why I don't like Skinny People

Old Navy has brought back their flare leg jean, which is major cause for celebration. However, I can't wear them. Old Navy has an annoying habit of making their jeans not fit ordinary people. If you wear an eight, you have to be an average eight. If you wear a sixteen, you have to be an average sixteen. I wear a 12/10. I have skinny legs and skinny thighs. Old Navy jeans aren't good for that. They hang off of me and they don't sit as low as I would normally like (which means I have to get a 14/16, and then we're in big trouble), so I normally do my shopping at American Eagle where their jeans were made to fit everyone, big and small.

Anyways, I was looking at a recent pic that Old Navy had put on Facebook asking people which they prefer, skinny jeans or flare jeans? The answers made me hate humanity. In general.

One woman said that only women who wore a 0-4 should wear the lighter color washes. Four people liked her comment. Other people were saying that flare jeans were only for skinny people, bigger people shouldn't be allowed to wear them, while some said the opposite.

Seriously? When I go at shop at American Eagle, I head to the clearance racks, where it's almost impossible to find jeans in my size. Know why? Because the average person is not a size 0. Nor a 1 nor a 2. They are normally in between a 6 and a 12. I am a 10/12, as stated previously. I would like to be an 8/10, because that is a healthy weight and size for me (about 140). And people think there is something wrong with me. Know what? I could go back to the weight I was in high school (about 110). But I don't want to. I looked absolutely hideous that skinny. I was nothing but a skeleton. That is not a healthy weight for me. I don't want to be super model skinny. News flash! It's not attractive to be nothing but bone. And, contrary to popular belief, it's not healthy either (on the complete other end of the spectrum, it's not healthy to be 300 pounds, either).

Here's the bottom line: you need to do what's best for you and quit judging others for what they feel is best for them. If I want to walk around in size 16 skinny jeans, then, by God, I'm going to do it and I don't want to hear you say anything about it. Why can't we be supportive of one another instead of tearing each other down so much? Why are our noses always in others business instead of taking care of our own affairs?

Please be conscious of what you say and how you say it. And sometimes, be conscious of what you don't say.

1 comment:

  1. My thoughts after reading: whatsoever you wear, do it with all fierceness. If you know what fits you, then wear it well.

    ReplyDelete