16 August 2011

Meant for More

Last night I read more into Game of Thrones (which is turning out to be a really awesome book). I slipped my bookmark between the pages, set it down, reached and turned my lamp off, snuggled under the covers, and closed my eyes. It was then I realized that I had done everything as if I were a regal. I was sitting up straighter, my neck longer, graceful... These were my thoughts at this moment.

If I had been born after Arthur's reign, I would have been a Queen, the woman  behind the man.
If I had been born while Columbus sailed, I would have been a Pirate Lord, tough but kind.
If I had been born while Victoria reigned, I would have been a noble's wife, intelligent and sophisticated.
If I had been born after the 1st World War, I would have been married to a soldier, living in peace.
If I had been born during Vietnam, I would have been a hippy.

I was meant for more from this life.


Some days I feel young. I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that I have the rest of my life ahead of me. Other days, I begin to feel the near quarter of a century that has already passed me by. I don't want to settle for anything in this life. It's the only one I have.

I was meant for more than this. But I have to play with the cards that were dealt me.

1 comment: