14 April 2011

My Flaws Are Not My Own

Every human being on this planet, every person that has ever been created or has yet to be conceived has flaws. Only one person has ever been perfect, and He died on the cross, crucified by those He was trying to save. Flaws are what makes us human. It's what separates us from any other living, breathing animal on the planet.

My one main problem with our flawed condition is that people are very quick to point out each other's flaws. As a general rule, you always find the flaws in others that are most represented in yourself, something that you've struggled with and overcome or something that is still yet to be discovered.

I'm having a hard time in my living situation at the moment, and I'm trying my very hardest to remember that I'm a  flawed individual and that, try as I might, I can not see everything exactly the way that the other person sees it because our flaws color our vision.

My flaws include being overemotional, anger issues, stereotyping, cowardice, and taking things way too personally. I have many, many other flaws, but these are the ones that are popping into my head at the moment. These are pretty common flaws. I could say I share these with at least 75% of the world population.

I already have a blog written on being overemotional. I tend to be either very very very happy or very very very sad, or very very very angry. There's not a whole lot of middle ground for me. I do have my blah moods, but even those tend to sway towards extremism. I have horrible anger issues that I've been trying my hardest to control and conquer. I have an incredibly bad habit of stereotyping based off of what a person looks like, what they wear, or how they speak. Five minutes into a conversation, I've already put you into a category. Yet I don't let that stop me from being a friend. I am an immense coward, or was at least. I am overcoming this everyday. I let people walk over me because I'm afraid of being a burden, or of telling them what they're doing is wrong. Or because I desperately want to be their friend.

This brings me to the last flaw I listed. I take things VERY personally. It doesn't matter what it is. You can cut in front of me in a shopping line, and I will spend the next five minutes wondering why you did that to me, of all people, and whether or not it has anything to do with the persona I give off or because I look easy or what.  This is my worst habit, and I'm trying to overcome it, but it's a daily struggle.

I am a flawed individual. You, the reader, are a flawed individual. The President of the US and the Queen of England are both flawed individuals. We are a flawed country and a flawed world. We stress the flaws in others, but maybe we should start seeing the good in everyone else instead of the bad. Why can't we all live more optimistically instead of being doom and gloom?

And why can't we open our mouths and talk about why we're bothered about the flaws instead of using the flaws themselves as an excuse to be bothered? 

1 comment:

  1. I loved this Victoria. It takes a lot to be so introspective...

    ReplyDelete