26 September 2011

Reasons

One question I am always asked is, "How do you do it?" How do I do what, exactly, is my normal answer. How do I attend class full time and raise a kid by myself? How do I deal with the fact that my husband has been gone since May of 2010, won't be home until January of 2012, and has spent less than a month total in the presence of his family? How do I juggle the demands of motherhood with starting my own business? Those three questions have a very easy answer. I do it because I don't have a choice. There's not some heroic phrase that I can say or something I can do to make it sound like this is something I want to do. The simple fact is that I was given this lot in life, and I have to take what is dealt to me.

I wish you knew how many mornings I wanted nothing more than to stay in bed and cry until my head felt like it was going to explode. However, I have a 15 month old who wakes up very hungry and wet at 9. I know that if I want to get anything done around the house, I'll have to get up at 7:30. So I do. It's that simple. I do this because it is what is required of me. I can't neglect my son. I can't neglect my home. And I can't neglect my studies.

Am I happy? For the most part, yes, I am. I have an active, healthy, intelligent son. I have a husband who has sacrificed a lot to give us what we have today. And I have friends and family who care deeply for me. Do I wish that I could change some things? Oh most definitely. But I can't, so I keep moving forward. Forward to the day where my family is a family again. Forward to the day when I have my degree and can pursue my dreams. Because this... This is my life.

2 comments: